Harris Legal Search has been exclusively engaged by MicroVision Inc. to recruit a Vice President, General Counsel, Corporate Secretary, (“General Counsel”).
This position reports to the CEO and is responsible for managing the Company’s worldwide legal, corporate compliance and governance, Intellectual Property, and transactions activities/functions. In addition to the required technical skills and experience, the ideal candidate will be responsive, engaged in the business, and proactive. The General Counsel will have the ability to effectively exercise business judgment and evaluate risk in a business context, while advising and counseling the Executive Team and Board. Further, this General Counsel will have a collaborative and team-oriented approach, and a proven track record of building strong, strategic relationships with C-level business partners while maintaining her/his own independence. The General Counsel will bring leadership and commitment to this role, and will embrace the Company’s mission and values with passion.
The General Counsel is responsible for managing all legal matters for MicroVision, including:
- Structuring, managing and developing MicroVision’s internal legal function and staff including legal operations development.
- Structuring and negotiating business agreements, including merger/acquisition agreements, license agreements, R&D agreements, supply, manufacturing and distribution agreements, real estate contracts, joint ventures, and strategic alliances.
- Advising senior management on strategic and complex business issues including deal structuring, international corporate structuring, risk management, transfer pricing, and operational matters.
- Serving as Corporate Secretary and advising the Board of Directors and its committees on corporate governance, executive compensation, securities compliance, and regulatory compliance matters.
- Managing compliance with securities, corporate, international, intellectual property, employment, and appropriate regulatory and export laws.
- Overseeing Intellectual Property development and protection, including managing patent portfolio and trade secret strategy. Understanding of patent assertion, defense and licensing strategy.
- Judging the merits of litigation filed against or on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Overseeing and developing corporate policies including insider-trading and disclosure policies, code of ethics, document retention policies, and risk management and compliance programs.
- Structuring and negotiating securities offerings including debt offerings, asset backed securities, stock offerings, and equity lines of credit.
- Managing internal and external counsel in all legal disciplines and matters.
- Overseeing the selection, retention, management, and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Participating in, and providing legal oversight for, investor relations and public relations matters.
- Juris Doctorate with strong academic credentials.
- Must be an active membership in good standing with a state bar association.
- 15+ years of legal experience and 5+ years of extensive interaction with a Board of Directors.
- Strong corporate experience, including with one or more of: securities, M&A or strategic agreements.
- Experience with public company corporate governance. Experience serving as a Corporate Secretary of a publicly traded company a plus.
- Proven leadership and experience managing a legal team. Ability to influence change and inspire others. Gravitas.
- Outstanding business acumen, legal reasoning and analysis, and strategic thinking ability.
- Excellent communication skills and experience in dealing with people at all levels inside and outside of the Company and relationship building skills. Strong negotiation skills.
- High initiative, flexibility, proactive approach and strong follow up skills. Responsive and thorough.
MicroVision, Inc. (NASDAQ: MVIS), uses its proprietary MEMS based scanning technology to provide solutions for automotive lidar sensors, augmented reality micro-display engines, interactive display modules and consumer lidar modules. MicroVision is a pioneering company in MEMS based laser beam scanning technology that integrates MEMS, lasers, optics, hardware, algorithms, and machine learning software into its proprietary technology to address existing and emerging markets.
Based in Redmond, Washington, the company is proud of its empowering work environment, entrepreneurial culture, and proprietary platform technologies.