Harris Legal Search has been exclusively engaged by Cambia Health Solutions to recruit a VP of Corporate and Commercial Legal Services to assist in the strategic planning and management of their Legal Department.
Cambia Health Solutions has exclusively engaged Harris Legal Search to recruit a VP of Corporate and Commercial Legal Services (VP, Legal). This position will be based in Portland, Oregon.
The VP, Legal will assist in the strategic planning and management of the Cambia Legal Department and be responsible for providing legal advice and counsel at the executive level. The successful candidate will report to the Chief Legal Officer and have 6 – 8 direct reports, including attorneys.
- Provide strategic advice and counsel to senior level executives, the Board of Directors and Board committees, bringing high levels of business acumen, creativity, and strategic thinking.
- Manage enterprise-wide corporate governance.
- Manage provision of legal counsel to Corporate Development (including equity investments and M&A), strategic investments and joint ventures (such as Echo Health Ventures), Journi and other business lines separate from the company’s health plans, and other corporate activities.
- Play a leadership role within the Legal Department and Cambia in strategy and administrative matters.
- Motivate and enable Corporate Legal Services team members to reach their highest potential, fostering continuous professional development and career growth; coach and mentor future leaders.
- Proactively identify corporate legal matters needing legal attention, focusing on continuous quality improvement; respond to requests from various divisions relating to corporate legal matters.
- Ensure the company’s contracts and agreements provide Cambia with a competitive advantage and agility in the marketplace.
- Oversee the management of the enterprise’s intellectual property compliance and portfolio.
- Manage outside counsel, including engagement of counsel, rate negotiation, quality review, and related tracking and reporting activities.
- Oversee tracking and allocation of legal time. Develop and drive Legal Department policies and procedures. Responsible for preparing budgets, reviewing forecasts, reporting outside counsel expenditures, and coordinating as necessary with finance for tracking of expenditures to Cambia Entities, with input from Director, Litigation.
- Supervise 6-8 employees.
- J.D. from an accredited law school with a strong academic record and admission (or ability to become admitted) to the Oregon State Bar.
- Minimum of 15 years of experience as a licensed attorney in corporate, government or law firm, having achieved partner or equivalent status or demonstrated performance and productivity in a legal or management capacity, with a record of progressing leadership positions, consistently exceeding expectations.
- Experienced with at least two of the following: corporate governance, health care, and insurance company / insurance holding company law.
- Demonstrated substantial senior level counsel experience managing legal staff and developing legal strategies, policies and procedures. Strong critical and problem-solving skills based on a foundation of solid business and legal experience. A trusted advisor and confidant with exceptional judgment and the highest ethical standards.
- Proven track record of clearly articulating the priorities of a complex and dynamic organization, as well as the ability to develop legal strategies that advance these priorities within the acceptable limits of risk and exposure. Demonstrated leadership and team building skills.
- Demonstrated initiative and self-starter.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively and develop and maintain strong interpersonal relationships at all levels throughout the organization.
Cambia Health Solutions, headquartered in Portland, Oregon, is dedicated to transforming health care. They are a family of over 20 companies that work together to make the health care system more economically sustainable and efficient for people and their families. Their solutions empower over 80 million Americans nationwide, including more than 3 million people in the Pacific Northwest who are enrolled in their regional health plans.