Harris Legal Search has been exclusively engaged by Aptevo Therapeutics (“Aptevo”) to recruit an SVP, General Counsel, Corporate Secretary, Chief Compliance Officer (“General Counsel”).
This position is responsible for managing the Company’s worldwide legal, corporate secretary, corporate compliance, IP and transactions activities/functions. In addition to the required technical skills and experience, the ideal candidate will be responsive, engaged in the business, and proactive. The General Counsel will have the ability to effectively exercise business judgment and evaluate risk in a business context, while advising and counseling the Executive Team. Further, this General Counsel will have a collaborative and team-oriented approach, and a proven track record of building strong, strategic relationships with C-level business partners while maintaining his/her own independence. The General Counsel will bring leadership and commitment to this role, and will embrace the Company’s mission and values with passion.
The General Counsel reports directly to the CEO and is responsible for managing all legal matters for Aptevo, including:
- Structuring, managing and developing Aptevo’s internal legal function and staff.
- Developing and executing the Legal Affairs and Compliance department strategy and direction.
- Structuring and negotiating business agreements, including merger/acquisition agreements, license agreements, R&D agreements, supply, manufacturing and distribution agreements, government contracts, real estate contracts, joint ventures, and strategic alliances.
- Advising senior management on strategic and complex business issues including deal structuring, international corporate structuring, risk management, transfer pricing, and operational matters.
- Managing compliance with securities, corporate, international, intellectual property, food and drug, antitrust, employment, government contracting, environmental, health and safety laws.
- Developing and overseeing comprehensive compliance systems for corporate operations, including antitrust, FDA (and international equivalents), import/export, select agent, and securities laws.
- Judging the merits of litigation filed against or on behalf of the company, works with the appropriate executive(s) to define a strategic defense and approves settlements of disputes where warranted.
- Overseeing and developing corporate policies including insider-trading and disclosure policies, code of ethics, document retention policies, and risk management and compliance programs.
- Structuring and negotiating securities offerings including debt offerings, asset backed securities, stock offerings, and equity lines of credit.
- Serving as Corporate Secretary and advising the Board of Directors and its committees on corporate governance, executive compensation, securities compliance, and regulatory compliance matters.
- Overseeing the selection, retention, management, and evaluation of all outside counsel.
- Managing external counsel in all legal disciplines and matters.
- Participating in, and providing legal oversight for, investor relations and public relations matters.
- Juris Doctorate with strong academic credentials.
- Must be an active membership in good standing with a state bar association.
- 15+ years of legal experience and 10+ years of extensive interaction with a Board of Directors.
- Combination of law firm and in-house experience.
- Strong M&A and other corporate experience.
- Significant SEC and corporate governance experience. Experience serving as a Corporate Secretary of a publicly traded company.
- Experience dealing with regulatory bodies and federal government agencies.
- Proven leadership and influencing skills. Experience managing a legal team. Ability to influence change and inspire others. Gravitas.
- Ability to think outside the box. Outstanding business acumen, legal reasoning and analysis, and strategic thinking ability.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, highly entrepreneurial environment.
- Excellent communication skills and experience in dealing with people at all levels inside and outside of the Company and relationship building skills. Strong negotiation skills.
- Highly motivated, work independently, self-starter, and is able to manage various projects concurrently.
- High initiative, flexibility, proactive approach and strong follow up skills. Responsive and thorough.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team with other Senior Executives.
- Analytical and creative, with proven good judgment.
Aptevo Therapeutics is a biotech company focused on bringing novel immuno-oncology therapeutics to market. Aptevo leverages the innovative ADAPTIR™ and ADAPTIR-FLEX™ platform technologies to create therapeutic candidates designed to improve outcomes for cancer patients.
Based in Seattle, Washington, the company is proud of its empowering work environment, entrepreneurial culture, and proprietary platform technologies. As a result, Aptevo has been able to attract some of the most innovative minds in the field. Many of Aptevo’s team members have notable experience with other pioneering biotech companies, including ZymoGenetics, Immunex, Dendreon, Pfizer, VLST, MedImmune, and more.