ABOUT THE POSITION
Providence St. Joseph Health has exclusively engaged Harris Legal Search to find a VP – Legal Operations Officer, to be based in downtown Seattle.
This is an unparalleled opportunity for an experienced professional to manage the operations of the Department of Legal Affairs’ (DLA), a growing legal team dedicated to PSJH’s mission of improving and transforming healthcare. This position will report to—and work closely with—the EVP, Chief Legal Officer, and be a member of the DLA Leadership Council.
The VP – Legal Operations Officer will be accountable for:
- Supporting the Chief Legal Officer and DLA Leadership Council on a range of departmental operational functions, including strategy, budgeting, auditor letters and inquiries, document management protocols and processes; outside counsel spend management, internal and external reporting, and other special projects.
- Managing DLA budget and related financial matters.
- Managing DLA staffing plan and recruitment efforts.
- Managing paraprofessionals and other support staff.
- Working with Leadership Council to identify appropriate performance metrics for DLA, including individual and department goals and related tracking/scoring.
- Supporting and enhancing processes for eDiscovery, subpoena responses, legal holds, deal due diligence, regulatory filings and similar procedural matters.
- Managing DLA technology strategy and related systems/processes, including serving as DLA coordinator with IT and vendors, and leading efforts for technology enhancements and functionality maximization.
- Managing process of selecting external legal firms, including RFP processes. Managing relationship with external legal firms, including billing processes, annual evaluations, development of alternative fee arrangements; measuring and assessing performance and spending
- Managing office space planning.
- Generating reports to clients and annual report to PSJH Executive Council regarding DLA operations/activities.
- Developing client updates and/or other DLA “marketing” materials.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
Operations Experience, Including:
- Supporting and advising executive leadership.
- Identifying and tracking key performance metrics.
- Working with financial budgets.
- Implementing document management, and managing compliance with requests for documents.
- Selecting and managing outside vendors, including technology and professional services vendors such as law firms.
- Planning staffing needs and managing recruiting.
- Legal, professional services, or healthcare industry experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience managing finance and budgets, IT, data and metrics, HR, and office operations.
- Knowledge of legal services delivery.
- Experience with team orientation and training.
- Leadership qualities.
- Skillful change manager.
- Highly organized, and adept at handling a wide range of projects.
- Effective and clear communication skills.
- Strategic thinking.
- JD or MBA strongly preferred.
- High visibility throughout the organization with an approachable, personable, charismatic, and optimistic demeanor.
- A detail-oriented leader with a project management mindset; the ability to see the big picture and think strategically combined with a deep understanding of the day-to-day operations.
- Embodies Servant Leadership, is driven by our Mission, and inspires all those around them.
- Honest, has integrity, and ensures accountability for themselves and others.
- Continuous learner and lets their curiosity and courageousness drive them to creative and innovative solutions.
- Strategic thinker and executor, taking calculated risks and making difficult decisions to move the organization forward.
- Navigate and influence in a highly complex, matrixed organization, utilizing the right resources at the right time to get results, particularly during times of change and ambiguity
- Strong business and financial acumen, who understands healthcare economics, performance and quality metrics, and is able to identify disruptive market forces and seize opportunities.
- Strong communicator with high emotional intelligence, that builds relationships and trust and collaborates with all stakeholders
- Understands their role as a Talent Steward and has a successful track record of developing, coaching, and growing their team
- Advocates for the patients and the communities we serve
- A sense of humor and positive attitude.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Providence St. Joseph Health (PSJH) is one of the nation’s largest healthcare providers with operations in seven states, with over $23B in revenue, serving over 13 million patients. Together, PSJH shares a singular commitment: to improve the health of everyone in our communities, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
PSJH has extremely attractive markets, well-positioned assets, and an incredible team of over 115,000 caregivers (employees) who are living our mission on a daily basis. Over the past several years, PSJH has pursued strategies to create the care delivery platform of the future with 51 hospitals, over 800 ambulatory sites, five star rated health plan operating across several states. A leading parent organization in health care, we offer a comprehensive range of services across Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington through a diverse family of Catholic, other faith-based and secular organizations.
PSJH is now in the midst of an exciting transformation with a vision of creating ‘Health for a Better World.’ PSJH’s leadership team has aligned on a vision and framework (Health 2.0) to transform healthcare to be more patient-centric, using its tremendous data assets to coordinate care, improve our operational and clinical efficiencies, and modernize its operations through technology.
Providence St. Joseph Health provides accessible, high quality, compassionate health care in an increasingly uncertain world—regardless of coverage or ability to pay. PSJH helps people and communities benefit from the best health care model for the future, today, by delivering innovative solutions for mental health and wellness; scientific wellness; end-of-life care; population health and by simplifying health for everyone through digital solutions.
Providence St. Joseph Health was established in July 2016 with the combination of Providence Health & Services and St. Joseph Health.