ABOUT THE POSITION
Providence St. Joseph Health has exclusively engaged Harris Legal Search to find a VP, Senior Corporate Counsel – Information Technology, to be based in downtown Seattle. (The attorney could also be based in Renton, WA; Portland, OR; or Irvine, CA.)
This is an unparalleled opportunity for an attorney with information technology expertise to join the Department of Legal Affairs (DLA) and work with IT leadership, the Digital Innovation Group (DIG), Providence Ventures, Express Care, and other strategic innovations involving IT. This attorney will advise on IT development, sourcing and compliance for IT infrastructure, including on-premise and cloud IT services.
As health care evolves, Providence is responding with a vision and core strategy to transform and innovate at scale. Across five states, Providence and its affiliates continue to pioneer how care is delivered by sharing one strategic plan designed to improve the health of entire populations by supporting the well-being of each person the organization serves.
The VP, Senior Corporate Counsel – Information Technology will be accountable for:
- Drafting, negotiating and interpreting a range of commercial and IT agreements, including inbound and outbound software licensing, professional services, SaaS, joint marketing, data vendor, cloud hosting, partnership and alliance, product development, information sharing, inbound and outbound content, and distribution agreements.
- Drafting and advising on online terms and conditions of use and program terms for portals and for both web and mobile/apps.
- Advising on the legal aspects of application platform creation, platform development and launch, development and rollout of new customer features, such as chatbots.
- Managing technology transactions and assisting in IT-related due diligence.
- Working with other DLA attorneys to ensure that healthcare regulatory IT-related issues are identified and addressed in new initiatives and products in a timely manner.
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of IT contract templates as needed.
- Providing legal advice and guidance on development of policies and procedures related to implementation in these areas. Monitoring of substantive content of such projects to ensure compliance with Federal and state law and applicable regulations.
- Assisting with issue resolution as it relates to technology matters.
- Collaborate with regulatory attorneys within DLA and with Enterprise Risk Management to provide advice and develop policies relating to information/data protection and security.
- Act as an internal subject matter expert to assist with IT-related litigation and management of external litigation counsel.
- Provide service, support and advice, as needed on other IT-related matters.
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- At least eight (8) years of law firm and/or in-house IT practice providing counsel to complex, multi-state business.
- Experience working with clients on IT issues related to the development, roll-out, and licensing/sale of new software products.
- Experience negotiating contracts with or on behalf of national IT marketplace vendors.
- In-house experience in the healthcare industry helpful, but not required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent breadth of knowledge in technology law practice, including cloud computing and data security.
- Knowledge of intellectual property law, including works for hire principles.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork, and networking skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- JD from accredited law school
- Licensed to practice law in Washington, Oregon, or California, or ability to obtain such licensure.
- High visibility throughout the organization with an approachable, personable, charismatic, and optimistic demeanor.
- Detail-oriented leader with a project management mindset; ability to see the big picture and think strategically, combined with a deep understanding of the day-to-day operations.
- Embodies Servant Leadership, is driven by PSJH’s Mission, and inspires all those around them.
- Honest, has integrity, and ensures accountability for themselves and others.
- Continuous learner and lets their curiosity and courageousness drive them to creative and innovative solutions.
- Strategic thinker and executor, taking calculated risks and making difficult decisions to move the organization forward.
- Navigate and influence in a highly complex, matrixed organization, utilizing the right resources at the right time to get results, particularly during times of change and ambiguity.
- Strong business and financial acumen, who understands healthcare economics, performance and quality metrics, and is able to identify disruptive market forces and seize opportunities.
- Strong communicator with high emotional intelligence, that builds relationships and trust and collaborates with all stakeholders.
- Understands their role as a Talent Steward and has a successful track record of developing, coaching, and growing their team.
- Advocates for the patients and the communities PSJH serves.
- A sense of humor and positive attitude.
ABOUT THE COMPANY
Providence St. Joseph Health (PSJH) is one of the nation’s largest healthcare providers with operations in seven states, with over $23B in revenue, serving over 13 million patients. Together, PSJH shares a singular commitment: to improve the health of everyone in our communities, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
PSJH has extremely attractive markets, well-positioned assets, and an incredible team of over 115,000 caregivers (employees) who are living our mission on a daily basis. Over the past several years, PSJH has pursued strategies to create the care delivery platform of the future with 51 hospitals, over 800 ambulatory sites, five star rated health plan operating across several states. A leading parent organization in health care, we offer a comprehensive range of services across Alaska, California, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas and Washington through a diverse family of Catholic, other faith-based and secular organizations.
PSJH is now in the midst of an exciting transformation with a vision of creating ‘Health for a Better World.’ PSJH’s leadership team has aligned on a vision and framework (Health 2.0) to transform healthcare to be more patient-centric, using its tremendous data assets to coordinate care, improve our operational and clinical efficiencies, and modernize its operations through technology.
Providence St. Joseph Health provides accessible, high quality, compassionate health care in an increasingly uncertain world—regardless of coverage or ability to pay. PSJH helps people and communities benefit from the best health care model for the future, today, by delivering innovative solutions for mental health and wellness; scientific wellness; end-of-life care; population health and by simplifying health for everyone through digital solutions.
Providence St. Joseph Health was established in July 2016 with the combination of Providence Health & Services and St. Joseph Health.