Harris Legal Search has been exclusively engaged to recruit an experienced privacy attorney for REI. This job contributes to REI’s success by providing legal services to the co-op and its officers, employees, and internal stakeholders in the areas of data privacy and technology. This attorney reports to the Deputy General Counsel–Business, Brand & Digital.
- Counsel clients on consumer data privacy and cybersecurity issues – including CCPA/CPRA, AdTech, and new developments.
- Work closely with IT InfoSec team.
- Review and draft data processing agreements, data privacy/security provisions, and agreements for digital/technology products and services.
- Support the operation, maintenance and improvement of REI’s privacy program, which may involve: reviewing privacy assessments; developing and implementing data privacy documentation, resources, tools, and standard methodologies across the enterprise; drafting and updating policies and notices; crafting and implementing program forms and templates; evaluating program performance; and collaborating with REI’s IT InfoSec team and outside counsel.
- Build and maintain expertise in data privacy laws, industry trends, and developments; participate in industry groups/forums.
- Build and deliver training on relevant legal topics for business clients and legal colleagues.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Act in alignment with and model REI’s core values and mission.
- J.D. degree from top law school; US bar membership in good standing.
- 5+ years of law firm experience in a sophisticated privacy practice.
- In-house experience with a consumer-brand company is preferred, e.g., experience in a retail or branded services company with stores or field operations.
- CIPP/US or other privacy certification from the International Association of Privacy Professionals is a plus, but not required.
- Highly responsive and service-oriented attitude.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment with multiple deadlines.
- Ability to maintain strong working relationships with cross-divisional partners.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills, including demonstrated ability to create useful business documents and presentations in plain English.
- Intellectual curiosity and a willingness to learn about and support multiple areas of the business.
- Active and effective team player and collaborator with internal business clients and within own department, including excellent people skills and the ability to build and maintain positive, supportive working relationships.
- Experience counseling and training business people with little or no legal background.
- Mature judgment and demonstrated ability to work effectively with senior leaders.
- Appreciation for and support of REI’s co-op structure, culture, and values.
- Ability to think strategically and provide critical analysis and risk assessments.
- Champion for the organization and advocate for solutions in the co-op’s overall best interest.
- Experience managing outside counsel.
- Builds capacity of individuals and teams through effective employee development, involvement, communication, and supervision efforts.
- Creates a strong, mutually supportive work spirit and culture where people can do their best.
- Establishes trust and inspires others.
- Makes effective organization and people decisions in a manner consistent with REI’s values and ethics.
- Delivers on commitments and holds others to same.
- Champions the organization and advocates solutions in the overall Company’s best interest.
- Uses business knowledge, innovative thinking, and sound judgment in the solution of problems or the pursuit of business opportunities.
- Consolidates information from various sources including feedback from others to reach sound decisions.
- Considers the ultimate impact of decisions and actions on internal and external customers.
- Fosters change in company direction.
- Effectively plans and executes changes.
REI is a specialty outdoor retailer, headquartered near Seattle. The nation’s largest consumer co-op, REI is a growing community of more than 20 million members who expect and love the best quality gear, inspiring expert classes and trips, and outstanding customer service. REI has 168 locations in 39 states and the District of Columbia. If you can’t visit a store, you can shop at REI.com, REI Outlet or the REI shopping app. REI isn’t just about gear. Adventurers can take the trip of a lifetime with REI’s active adventure travel company that runs more than 100 itineraries across the country. In many communities where REI has a presence, professionally trained instructors share their expertise by hosting beginner-to advanced-level classes and workshops about a wide range of activities. To build on the infrastructure that makes life outside possible, REI invests millions annually in hundreds of local and national nonprofits that create access to—and steward—the outdoor places that inspire us all.