The Pokémon Company International (TPCi) has exclusively engaged Harris Legal Search to recruit a Chief Legal Officer. This position will be based in Bellevue, Washington (10 miles east of Seattle.)
The Chief Legal Officer (CLO) will lead the strategic and tactical legal, and compliance initiatives globally across The Pokémon Company International (TPCi). The CLO serves as the legal advisor to the President, Executive team, and senior management on a wide range of legal matters related to the organization’s business, including strategic initiatives, partnerships, corporate governance matters, regulatory issues, compliance, employment law, trademark and copyright law, litigation, dispute avoidance and resolution, and mergers and acquisition. As a key member of the senior leadership team, the CLO will be a collaborative partner and thought leader helping to drive company growth and success.
The CLO will provide guidance to the Board of Directors regarding a range of corporate governance matters and will serve as the Secretary of the Board. This position will also partner on corporate and legal matters with the parent company, The Pokémon Company (TPC).
The CLO reports directly to the President, and is based in Bellevue, Washington (ten miles East of Seattle). The CLO is responsible for an in-house Legal team (with office locations in Washington State and London, England) which will work on a wide variety of corporate legal, and compliance and initiatives.
- Provide exemplary business leadership skills and possess a broader perspective to help define the organization’s vision and drive growth strategies.
- Collaborate across all divisions and partner with Executive and leadership teams to work cross-functionally to advance strategic initiatives.
- Partner with Executives and leaders at TPC on global initiatives, and also third-party partnerships.
- Develop and implement the practices to build a high performing Legal team to achieve business results and support the organization as it continues to grow.
- Serve as one of the company’s key contacts and negotiators with government agencies and regulatory bodies.
- We offer a professional, fun and creative work environment. Standard business hours apply; however, additional hours may be required at peak times, and evenings and weekends or for specific initiatives. International and domestic travel will be required for this role.
- J.D. from an accredited national law school and admission (or eligible for admission) to the Washington State Bar.
- Minimum of 15 years of legal and compliance experience.
- Proven executive level success at a multinational company.
- Experience with and understanding of the games and entertainment industry.
- Results-oriented with an exceptional track record of demonstrated organizational and business acumen, strong analytical skills, and the ability to grasp important legal and strategic issues facing the organization.
- Strong leadership skills and a proven ability to manage, mentor, and develop high performing and highly engaged teams. Experience leading teams through rapid growth.
- Experience working with kids’ products, consumer goods and services, and the entertainment industry is a plus.
- Communication: You are exceptional at conveying complex ideas in both verbal and written form. You possess the ability to get group buy-in at any level by listening to views of colleagues and taking in diverse perspectives. You have impeccable written and verbal communication with ability to translate technical information in a non-technical format.
- Analytical and Logical: You apply logic and complex layers of rules to analyze and categorize complicated information. You see relationships between information in varied forms and from varied sources. You integrate diverse themes and lines of reasoning to create new insights or levels of understanding for the issue at hand.
- Bias for Action: You consistently search for industry best practices and how to integrate to team and larger sphere of influence. You will not allow speedbumps or barriers to slow or halt process improvement, and lead by example through positive change management.
- People Developer: You model success behaviors, a high-performance work ethic, and constant self-improvement. You create a work environment where people choose to be motivated, contributing and happy.
- Change Agent: You take calculated risks and teach others to do the same. You utilize learnings to make decisions know that in order to grow further you must alter the status quo.
- Passion and Pride in your work: You always see opportunities to enhance the level of quality and encourage others to identify them as well. You create and foster an environment where quality is a priority and a focus.
- Impact and Influence: You promote the creation of a shared mission and vision and use those principles to guide actions, getting others excited about and committed to furthering the organization’s objectives.
- Collaborative and Inclusive: You treat others with respect and demonstrate a high degree of integrity and ethics. You engage and collaborate across functional and organizational boundaries. You establish a sense of unity and teamwork amongst talent. You demonstrate awareness and respect of cultural and individual values and appreciate and leverage the strengths of others to accomplish goals.
- Leadership Agility: You balance attention to short-term and long-term priorities, meaningful participation, and fostering individual initiative and strong teamwork. You are resilient in responding to difficulties and discomforts that change often brings. You seek feedback from multiple sources and use both mistakes and successes for continual learning and development. Finally, you are committed to creating agile teams and to helping others become more effective leaders.
The Pokémon Company International, a subsidiary of The Pokémon Company in Japan, manages the property outside of Asia and is responsible for brand management, licensing, marketing, the Pokémon Trading Card Game, the animated TV series, home entertainment, and the official Pokémon website. Pokémon was launched in Japan in 1996 and today is one of the most popular children’s entertainment properties in the world.